GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My question was already posted ,/ my Chevy 3500 1998 7.4 it

Customer Question

My question was already posted ,/ my Chevy 3500 1998 7.4 it won't start ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Does the fuel pump run when you first turn the key to run?

Does the check engine light come on and then go off after bulb check?

Are there any anti-theft or security messages or light on or flashing?

Have you tried starting fluid yet?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the pump is new and it works , all lights do turn on obiusly when key is in
Battery is full of charge ,/ it won't click to start ,/ new starter
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK reply and I'll view it when you have time ! Thanks
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

So, the starter doesn't even crank the engine over?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not a noise / got new starter New everything electrical !
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No and it was working perfectly after I spend tons of money ,/ to change all the old electrical problems with a machine !
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Do you have a voltmeter or 12 volt test light in order to test starter relay and/or the neutral safety switch/clutch switch?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

If this is an automatic transmission, try this quick test. Hold the key on start while moving the shifter from park and the way to low and back and forth a few times while still holding the key on start. Does at any spot the starter engage?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My friend ,/ did it at list 10 times even in neutral , check wires on starter all correct and new new starter and retested , new battery , column starting relay replace , under the hood relay replace , wires plugs distributor cap & rotor replace also D . stem replace ,/ Ran out of options ?????
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

What do you mean by "did it at list 10 times even in neutral "?

I said, "If this is an automatic transmission, try this quick test. Hold the key on start while moving the shifter from park and the way to low and back and forth a few times while still holding the key on start. Does at any spot the starter engage?'

I didn't say keep in it neutral, read that again.

Also, Do you have a voltmeter or 12 volt test light in order to test starter relay and/or the neutral safety switch/clutch switch?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
St. I did all of the aspects that you just suggested , and I did read all of what you said very carefully , do you believe it might be the cable to the starter , that's the only one that has not replace because it looks good !
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I see 3 to 4 Questions & Answers for $35.00 and just by answering basic answes ,/ then the table turns for an additional $20 .00 for how many more Questions & Answers will be ? Another 3 to 4 more ? I don't mind but for a more concrete answer please don't get it miss interpreted I Thank you for what so far have done !¡! But let's continue on the problem please ,.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Originally the question was closed, then it opened back up for some reason.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sr. The 12 volt meter was use to test the starter relay and it respond immediately ,/ And the Neutral safety switch was replace 2 months ago
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Can you gain access to the starter itself and with that voltmeter test for voltage to the purple wire at the starter solenoid for voltage when the key is turned to start?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Just incase we need it, here is the wiring diagram.