GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2004 chevy duramax. It makes a growling sound that

Customer Question

I have a 2004 chevy duramax. It makes a growling sound that comes and goes which makes it very hard to trouble shoot. It comes on at around 50 mph and gets noticeably louder pulling a load. When it is making the sound I can change the tone of the growl by pushing the fuel peddle in and out. If I let up completely the sound stops but starts again when I accelerate. I noticed when accelerating ( attempting to ) the tachometer doesn't increase unless I flog it. ( when making sound ). Doesn't seem to have the power it should either. There have been a lot of times I've driven the truck, not pulling a load, and never heard the sound. It will only make the noise on acceleration on any grade empty or hauling a load! Hope you can make sense of all of this. Nobody in my world has been able to help. Fred.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

are you getting a check engine light when this happens