Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

On my 1985 sierra 3500 the alternator does not always charge

Customer Question

on my 1985 sierra 3500 the alternator does not always charge until I play with the fuse. Works for awhile until I shut off the engine
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Sometimes just putting pressure on the fuse it works. if I knew exactly the color code of the wires going into the fusebox I would bypass the fuse in the box from outside the firewall
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes I use the truck for snowclearing as my road is not serviced by the municipality
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: At first I had the alternator tested to see if it was working.It didn't seem to be charging after re installing it. Thought it was because it was a weak battery at first, then discouvered by pushing sideways of the relay fuse the gauge would show it charging again. Now I have to play with it each time I start the truck, doesn't always work
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Chevy Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Chevy Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

I'll look it up but I need to know which engine came in this.

Also, have you tried to replace the fuse/ Which fuse is it exactly?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

I believe all of those diagrams are the same, here it is