Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

The Vats system is stuck on and car won't start I did the

Customer Question

The Vats system is stuck on and car won't start I did the bypass for the key, and now want too do the starter bypass but need too know where it is and which 2 wires too connect together
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Check the thread I already wrote what I have done thanks
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: Just the vats
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Chevy Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what was or has been bypassed already for this here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The key is the only thing I have done so far with no luckThe security light is still solid not blinking but I did check the ohms in the key and matched it. Now I would like to do the starter bypass
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Can you tell me if the 8th digit of your vin number is ***** J?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's an 8
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Was this a purple/yellow wire and white/black wire that you had inserted a resistor into to bypass the ignition cylinder?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No it was Two white wires with a like orange sleeve
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,these lead to the wires I posted above.

When these are bypassed this sends a resistance signal that is correct to the central control module (CCM).The CCM then energizes the starter relay with a ground to allow cranking/starting of the vehicle.When you bypassed the key chip you want to make sure you are at the exact same resistance within maybe 20 ohms difference or the bypass would not have worked.

If you did get this info the correct resistance range but still have no starter engagement most likely the CCM is not sending a ground to energize the starter relay.To bypass this you would need to provide a ground source to this relay as well as a signal to the ECM to allow fuel injectors to operate as the CCM controls the fuel enable circuit as well.This can be tough to do in some cases.

You would need to supply a ground to the starter enable relay with the key on on the black wire with yellow stripe at terminal 2 at this relay.You would also need to supply a ground to the dark blue wire at the ECM on terminal B6 in the ecm connection.These grounds should only be present with the key on.

The best way of course to correct this here is to just replace the CCM all together.But these are the two circuits that need a ground circuit supplied to,to allow fuel to operate at the injectors as well as the starter to engage.

Here is the location of the starter relay.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rjmh04ofds3suyu/atse-03-10.gif?dl=0

Here is the connection pin out for the ecm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rug3t80o76er1zu/ecm-03-10.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
do I need a toggle for the 2 grounds
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Alright I got it turning over but won't start
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Can you test at one of the fuel injectors electrical connections to see if you have voltage on one wire with the key on then a pulsating on/off ground signal when cranking over the engine and let me know.

Thanks Pete