Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

I have a 1999 two-door Tahoe with the 5.7 L Vortec and I

Customer Question

I have a 1999 two-door Tahoe with the 5.7 L Vortec and I want to put a 6 L Vortec in it, The 6 L motor comes out of a 2004 hummer H2 and comes with wiring harness and computer!Is that possible?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

Nothing is impossible, but it's certainly far from plug and play.

The LS series engines (which is what the 6.0 is) are very different from the old Vortec engines. Aside from the exhaust, accessory drive, and things like that to work out, you'll also be trying to adapt a different communication standard to an older truck, so things won't work like they should. Things like oil pressure gauge, fuel gauge, ABS communication (vehicle speed information is fed to the ABS by the engine computer, so that's a whole new set of issues to work out), and all sorts of things that you'll have to figure out along the way.

It's a project, it's far from being plug and play, and it will undoubtedly require the assistance of a professional tuner before you're done with it. I'd vote against it, unless you really, REALLY like head scratching projects that take three times longer and cost five times more than you think they will.

The transmission is also a different animal, the bell housings are different. Again, you can work around these things to some extent, but be ready for it.