AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

95 Blazer, 4.3, new injectors, distributor, plugs, wires,

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Grant. 95 Blazer, 4.3, new injectors, distributor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, maf sensor, coil. Fuel pressure checks at 55/58 running. Has a strange issue. Runs / drives/ shifts fine.. park after driving with nose up slightly, [like at a store] restarts, then boggs bad.. will not idle, misses through mid range, runs at high speed rpm.. but not under load.. ????
At rpm run.. it stops firing for a moment, like it's hitting an rpm limiter.. ohh. new battery / clean ground and positive..
Thoughts?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

are you getting any check engine lights if so what are the codes

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It throws a check engine light while this is happening, code reader will not read, and it picks up no codes. It's a 95, built in August of 95 and has OBDII plug under dash.. Check engine light goes out after a while.
Engine temp rises 50 degrees while this event is happening..
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I limp to a safe place.. park.. engine cools down.. it starts and runs normal
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

sounds like your catalytic converter stopped up

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not possible.. Cat is removed..
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

good to know have you checked the egr valve

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
EGR valve replaced.. manifold cleaned of any carbon. New O2 sensor [this year only has ONE upstream of cat, which is currently removed]
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This event has now occurred 5 times.. only common factors have been, engine to temp, parked nose up [like in front of a store for drainage]. Fuel tank full each time.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

really making it difficult what about the engine temp sensor

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've been a mechanic for 50 years.. this one is stumping me.. have not replaced engine temp sensor. Symptoms to look for?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Engine temp, during the event has always risen at least 50 degrees above thermostat temp [normal running] Thermostat and radiator and water pump are new.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No overheating issues, otherwise. However, during these events, engine temp rises quickly and it's not just indicated temp.. it gets hot.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

here are some of the symptoms of a bad temp sensor

Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) during warm-up. The PCM will not allow the EGR valve to open until the engine has warmed up to improve driveability. If EGR is allowed while the engine is still cold, it may cause a rough idle, stalling and/or hesitation.

* Evaporative emissions control canister purge. Fuel vapors stored in the charcoal canister are not purged until the engine is warm to prevent driveability problems.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Cold start is crisp.. acceleration is crisp while cold.. no drivability issues cold or hot until it throws one of these fits.
I'm stumped.. seems unlikely the above engine temp sensor failure indications apply.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It has never done it unless engine is to operating temp [5 miles of driving] and parked nose up, setting for 30/45 minutes. I have a fuel pressure gage, connected it today during the event.. pressure at gage, key on was 54 PSI.. on start / idle 55/56 PSI. I thought perhaps water in tank.. nose up.. pickup is at rear of tank.. loss of fuel flow.. but seems that is eliminated by fuel pressure.
Any thoughts on cause?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
is there an electrical component on top of engine that would heat soak after shut down and cause computer to cut fuel? I'm old school mechanic, diesels and aircraft, pre computer cars..
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Solution that works would be most welcome.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Seem to have lost contact with you. Are we still in conversation?
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 9 months ago.

im at aloss here as well i will open the question back up to see if another expert can help you out

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. I can help walk you through this diagnoses but I would like to speak with you over the phone. Would you be willing to speak with me over the phone for an extra $5?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

I do work all day today but I will be on line tonight and I have the day off tomorrow. I can send you my cell number and you can send me a message during the day if you decide to accept my premium offer

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

I am going to send it over right now

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have work out of town all day today, so will have to continue this after I get back tonite. Thanks for the followup.
I'll call the number as soon as I'm back.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Ok sounds good! Talk to you then!