AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Same problem here, have done everything listed..replaced

Customer Question

Same problem here, have done everything listed..replaced switches/tested with multimeter..all ok. Brake lights and cruise control still not working.
Ref: http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/6vy62-chevrolet-colorado-lt-brake-lights-not-working-chevy-colorado.html
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1GCDT13E578166340
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm having trouble with my account, I apologize if there is a delay in my response.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

No problem

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

So do the brake lights illuminate if you jumper the brake switch?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Jumper the brake switch, how?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Just disconnect the brake switch connector from the brake switch and jumper the two wires and see if the brake lights come on

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
please give me a few to try this, thanks
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
they do not
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

And the orange wire going to the plug does in fact have power on it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
a paperclip should be fine to jumper, right?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

yes

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no, they are not working when jumpered...and again multimeter shows all functioning well....cruise control has been out for a while but brake lights just recently stopped working. all bulbs look good..all other lights functioning normally. could this be in other wiring/connectors?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

yes it could be but we need to diagnose it. Does the orange wire going to the brake light switch have power on it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the blue when released
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

So if the blue wire leaking the brake light switch has power with the brake pedal is depressed, then the brake lights should have power going to them. If not, there is an open or a break in the wiring between the brake light switch and brake lights.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i will check voltage at lights..will you please await update?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

yes

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Now it is possible that the cruise control is not working because there are codes in the brake control module related to the brake light circuit. I would check and fix the brake lights first before going after the cruise control. Also, be sure that the cruise control fuse is good.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

I am going to be headed to bed soon. I will leave you with these two wiring diagrams. One shows the brake light fuse and circuit going to the center brake lights. The other shows the brake light circuit going to the computer and the cruise control circuit.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Here is another diagram that might help.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Please check this circuit and post your reply. I will check back with you first thing in the AM. Have a good night!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for all of your advice. I found a melted piece of plastic at one of the bulbs in the 3rd brake like assembly that grounded the others and had in fact blown them all. Repaired connection and replaced bulbs, all is working again. Curious about another cause, but time will reveal that. Once again, thanks! I hope you get most of the money they charge.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Hello and good morning! EXCELLENT! I am glad to hear we got to the bottom of the problem! I dont get credit for assisting you until you rate my answer as "OK service" or higher. I would appreciate a positive rating for assisting you with your question. It has been a pleasure working with you! Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page. Thank you and have a great day!!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!