Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Matt, My name is ***** ***** I have a 2002 Astro AWD Van

Customer Question

hi Matt, My name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a 2002 Astro AWD Van with binding while sharp turns in parking lot.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
History on my vehicle:
Service AWD light was on and changed encoder motor with OEM unit. Started binding after motor change. Disconnected unit and same issue. Fluid was changed about 2 months ago with Auto TrakII fluid (blue).
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
also when tight parking lot turn, I hear a noise in rear area (seems to be in passenger side).
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
In addition, seems to be binding when turning more left than right. Trying to give the most details.
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the differential has a set of clutches in them. when they wear, they will bind on turns. you can get an additive at a parts store to add to out a coating on these clutches for this condition. it is about 7-8 bucks for the additive and takes about 10 miles of driving to take effect. if this takes care of your issue, then I would change the fluid in the rear and add new fluid and another tube of the additive.

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

how are you making out

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Changed transfer case fluid (old fluid was clean and did not smell burnt). Test drove in parking lot. Same issue. Still binding when making sharp turns.
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

takes about 10 miles of driving to take effect. if this takes care of your issue, then I would change the fluid in the rear and add new fluid and another tube of the additive.

that was in my post, did you drive it 10 miles????

Roy

8

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
In addition, I disconnected transfer motor plug prior to fluid change and same issue.
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

wait a minute... you changed the fluid in the transfer case?????? I told you the differential fluid?????

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. I will change fluid in rear differential. Weird, I changed that about 6 mths ago with new gasket
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

ok, let me know

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Strange, that would cause this issue, but stranger things I have seen cause issues that one eould never think of.
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

slipping clutches in the differentials are common.

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is the astro van limited slip or locking differential, as I will add the additive also.
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

limited slip