Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Matt, My name is ***** ***** I have a 2002 Astro AWD Van

Customer Question

hi Matt, My name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a 2002 Astro AWD Van with binding while sharp turns in parking lot.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
History on my vehicle:
Service AWD light was on and changed encoder motor with OEM unit. Started binding after motor change. Disconnected unit and same issue. Fluid was changed about 2 months ago with Auto TrakII fluid (blue).
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
also when tight parking lot turn, I hear a noise in rear area (seems to be in passenger side).
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In addition, seems to be binding when turning more left than right. Trying to give the most details.
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the differential has a set of clutches in them. when they wear, they will bind on turns. you can get an additive at a parts store to add to out a coating on these clutches for this condition. it is about 7-8 bucks for the additive and takes about 10 miles of driving to take effect. if this takes care of your issue, then I would change the fluid in the rear and add new fluid and another tube of the additive.

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.

how are you making out

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Changed transfer case fluid (old fluid was clean and did not smell burnt). Test drove in parking lot. Same issue. Still binding when making sharp turns.
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.

takes about 10 miles of driving to take effect. if this takes care of your issue, then I would change the fluid in the rear and add new fluid and another tube of the additive.

that was in my post, did you drive it 10 miles????

Roy

8

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In addition, I disconnected transfer motor plug prior to fluid change and same issue.
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.

wait a minute... you changed the fluid in the transfer case?????? I told you the differential fluid?????

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. I will change fluid in rear differential. Weird, I changed that about 6 mths ago with new gasket
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.

ok, let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Strange, that would cause this issue, but stranger things I have seen cause issues that one eould never think of.
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.

slipping clutches in the differentials are common.

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is the astro van limited slip or locking differential, as I will add the additive also.
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.

limited slip