Christopher Trevino
Christopher Trevino,
Experience:  Field Service Technician at Crown Lift Trucks
85436572

My 2008 Aveo had a problem with the security alarm going off

Customer Question

My 2008 Aveo had a problem with the security alarm going off when I tried to crank the car. I unplugged the horn fuse and the flashers kept going off. After a few minutes it would quit. Later, all that stopped happening when I plugged the fuse back in, then the car would not start. It turns over fine, but gets no fire.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just what I told you. The car has gas, but acts like it is empty. No engine turnover.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: It does not have the problem with the alarm going off now. Just won't crank.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Chevy Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Christopher Trevino replied 9 months ago.

Hello there , Although I am NOT a chevy technician I do have first hand experience with this type of symptom. I'd like to help you solve this problem if possible. The way this anti-theft system is set up is that it shuts down the fuel pump until the alarm is reset, that's why you get a crank but no start condition. First, I'm assuming you don't have the keyfob or transmitter that will reset the alarm, If this is the case, there are two ways I have seen the alarm reset on chevy vehicles. 1) put the key inside the drivers door and lock and unlock the door 5-10 times . Then attempt to start the car, if this works, you're good. If this does not work ,2) put the key inside the ignition and turn the key into the "ON" position, leave it in this position for up to 30 minutes, sometimes you should see the anti theft light go away , then try starting the vehicle. These two ways are most common on chevys, Let me know how it goes, I will check back here in 24 hours. Feel free to reply any time, I usually check the site around this time daily just to give you an estimated reply time on my end. Thank you so much.

Hello again, How did everything go? if all is well, would you kindly rate my services, and remember, you can always reply and we can continue our conversation here.

Thank you,

-Chris