Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have had a lot of issues electrically on my Colorado. I

Customer Question

I have had a lot of issues electrically on my Colorado. I had ordered a high output alternator but I had some issues on the fabriation of it so not sure if it could fix my problem or not. But I have issues once maybe every three months approx. where my throttle will go out for like four seconds. Regardless of if im going or not.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have aftermarket speakers, radio, headlights, and subs on a 1600watt amp. I have taken it to a Chevy dealship two times. They replaced the BCM and Instrument Panel Dash. Neither of which has fixed the issues, but still cost me.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: I took up the idea it was probabaly an eletrical short to my components causing my issues, but the dealership never said that was it nor did I ask though.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Other issues besides the throttle are, headlight flashing when lights on my dash gauge flash. And when the throttle goes out I'll have lights flash up there. I have found if I set by (Auto) headlights to on(Far Right) and the dash lights flash, only my fog lights will go out if I have them on.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order to be able to try and help you with this I need to know what year your Colorado is , I also need you to scan the computer system and see if there are an fault codes setting. Post back with complete information as well as all fault codes and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I scanned it with my HyperTech Programmer and got no DTC's reported. I also recall two dealerships scanning and getting nothing when I reported the problem to them. About a year ago they replaced my BCM which didn't fix it. They put back in all the relearn procedures etc. I don't have the complete documents with me for everything they did. It's a 2010 Colorado. The only problem when I got my truck was the gas gauge which would work every blue moon but I had the instrumental dash panel replaced which fixed that. My new problem came about two years ago I would say. And my last thing I could think it could be is a power short. Is the throttle for my vehicle go through the truck computer which could cause this issue, which could be fixed either by returning my speakers, headlights, etc. back to stock or replacing with a high output alternator? Also, incase I didn't mention when either the throttle will go out(maybe once every three months only for like 4 seconds, but could be dangerous) or my headlights flash when on AUTO(And just fog lights if I turn too on position when using headlights) I have like 4 dash lights that will flash when it happens. The Car w/ lock, Traction Control, (ABS I want to say), and I think that's it. The alternator I had in it was a 250Amp which I purchased within past year has had issues with the alignment of it, so it the process of returning it to get it fixed. It could turn out that when I get it back that all my problems are gone. Just let me know on your opinion.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Im not sure this is something I am going to be able fix for you from here. I am afraid this is going to require some hands on testing. I will open the post back up for you and see if someone else can offer something different.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, thanks.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

This has a recall on the throttle body and/or throttle position sensor. It's free of charge. I would have the dealer perform this first and see if it fixes your problem. I don't think it is a problem of undercharging or over charging of the alternator and charging system, that would not usually result in the throttle just momentarily going out.

Here is that tsb on the recall,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles