Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I am confused on how to replace my cylinder on my 92 chevy

Customer Question

i am confused on how to replace my slave cylinder on my 92 chevy c1500
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Do you have any instructions?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no i do night the tool that i bought didnt come with any instructions and the book that i have is not very clear on how to take it apart
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Ok, give me just a moment and let me see what I can find out.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
okay thank you so much yeah been fighting this part for the better half of a month
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

These are the instructions I have,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i got that prossess but how do i get the line off of the slave cyilinder like what is the trick to it i can do it from there but i dont know how to remove the hydrolic line
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

So you are trying to disconnect the hydraulic line?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

You answered that before I asked it. One second.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Do you have a camera? If not, do you have a dollar store near by? They sell cellphones for $10 sometimes with both cameras and video recorders.

I would like to see that line.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

So the hydraulic line doesn't just unscrew?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTlfRtzfSeY
so this is the same set up i am not at home right now so i can not send you a pic but if you scroll to 1min 8secs and yeah i tried to unscrew it i couldnt get it to unscrewed
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

At 2:03 you can see where the line unscrews. Is that it, does it not uncrew or something?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Ok, now I understand. Use a flare nut wrench.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

One like this and soak it first with some penetrating fluid. http://cds.a9t2h4q7.hwcdn.net/main/items/media/DANAH001/ProductLarge/MF29203.jpg

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
a flare nut wrench? and where about do you use it cuz the line is directly in the slave cylinder..... is it cuz the slave cylinder will turn without coming lose so you have to use the flare nut wrench to help the line come out
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

No, the flare nut wrench is so you don't strip the head/flats of the line nut fitting. It fits around the line so you can grab the nut from 5 sides, not just 2 sides like when using an open end wrench. Like this, http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/tools/pics/fnw3.jpg

Autozone has a lot, sears, etc. http://www.autozone.com/wrenches-pliers-and-cutters/wrench?filterByKeyWord=flare+nut+wrench&fromString=search

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
okay thank well i am not home as of yet but i will stop by auto zone and pick up a set and try to see if that helps if not is it okay if i message back on here for futher assistants
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

A 1992 should be metric so remember not to but sae, you need metric. I am guessing around 10mm. You could measure using open end wrenches, whatever fit with open end is the same in flare wrench size.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Or, if you want to just replace the entire line cause maybe it's rusted or whatever, you could just cut if off using a hacksaw or tubing cutter, close to the slave cylinder and then put on a 6 point deep socket or a 6 point closed end wrench and crack it loose and remove it that way.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
okay thanks for the other information i dont know what all it will need to be done so hopefully it will just be an easy fix to just have to get the flare nut wrench and knock it lose and job done but will take into consideration what you have told me
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

or s crows foot if you have no room, like this http://www.panther-pro.co.uk/toptul/images/source/AEAV.jpg

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
yeah i have plenty of room i can get up under the truck without lifting it up off the wheels
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Ok, if that flare wrench works, don't forget to rate me well, so I get credit and if it don't work, let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
will do not a problem thanks for the tips
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

You are welcome.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Did the flare wrench work?