Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

2001 silverado 4.8l startes idles low then dies i tryed to

Customer Question

2001 silverado 4.8l startes idles low then dies i tryed to apply gas but it dies even faster just replace fuel filter and fuel ump sounds like its coming on.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: starts idles low then dies... no check engine lights to scan. if you apply gas it dies faster.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: fuel filter
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: i do not think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 9 months ago.

Those symptoms usually point to a weak fuel pump. First thing we need to do is measure fuel pressure, if less than 55-62 psi then we need to replace the pump. The way GM designed this truck, if fuel pressure is OK, then we're going to need a scan tool that can read engine data, not just codes, so we can look at the different sensor signals coming in in order to determine what is making the engine stall.

Please let me know what you find.