Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Esse, Goldthwaite, TX: On a 1980 GMC K1500 step side 4x4, 4

Customer Question

Esse, Goldthwaite, TX: On a 1980 GMC K1500 step side 4x4, 4 speed manual transmission, what rear end would have come in that truck stock? Not sure what motor came in the vehicle originally but it's got a 350 in it now.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's all the details I have on the truck. I have not put my hands on the vehicle.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 9 months ago.

The half ton trucks came almost exclusively with the 8.5" rear axle, which is commonly referred to as a ten bolt rear axle (denoting the number of bolts that hold the rear cover on).