Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I'm trying to install a trailer brake controller to my 2014

Customer Question

Hi! I'm trying to install a trailer brake controller to my 2014 hevy
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Chevy Express 35000
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I bought the supplies from a Uhaul dealer, and I'm afraid they sold me the incorrect wiring harness
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: I was told that there was a place on EVERY Chevy Van to plug a harness directly into for a brake controller
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

Can you go into a little more detail exactly where your stuck on the installation and mounting process of the controller and wiring?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was told that the vehicle would have a plug to connect the harness to. There is no plug. I think that I was sold the wrong item. There also isn't a 4 prong plug in the rear of the vehicle as I was assured. I'm guessing that I will have to run the wires from the trailer hitch, attach the battery and the brake Switch to the controller located in the truck. Any suggestions to make this less complicated? No issues with running the wires from back to front, just the connections to connect the battery and the brake peddle. Thank you! Adam

If it were pre-wired there would be a power wire, brake to trailer wire, and brake signal wire in the area right of the steering column where a controller would plug in. Since you have no trailer connector in the rear, then its not likely to be wired at all. Below are 2 links showing how this system is wired.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/3500trailerone.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/3500trailertwo.pdf