Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

This is ***** *****, I have a 2002 chevy malibu that I just

Customer Question

Hi this is ***** *****,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a 2002 chevy malibu that I just replaced the transmission on, but I'm having the code P0741 come up on it, which doesn't make sense to me because the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid is inside the transmission. which means it should be good right?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there anything else that would cause that code to come up?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Even though the transmission was replaced the torque converter lock up solenoid can be faulty in the transmission that was just installed.I have seen this before unfortunately and had to replace it.This would be covered under parts warranty and labor warranty by a repair facility through the company the transmission was purchased from if this was a transmission that carried a warranty.

The only other issues that can cause this here is a wiring fault leading from the PCM (engine and transmission computer) to the transmission or an issue internally in the PCM itself.But if this code was not an issue until the transmission was replaced I suspect the solenoid in the transmission is at fault needing replaced and I would check into the company that sold it to you as they should cover the costs for replacement if the transmission carries a warranty.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay one other thing. When I took the car in to get emissions done it said the evape system was not ready. What does this mean?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

This indicates the evap test has not been run by the computer itself in the vehicle.The computer has to see certain criteria before it runs the evap testing like certain fuel level in the tank and certain driving conditions.Usually you want around 1/2 tank or less and drive the vehicle around 30 miles to get it to run this test here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete