sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 99 suburban 5.7 rebuilt engine that I. Have just

Customer Question

I have a 99 suburban 5.7 rebuilt engine that I. Have just installed but I get no fire when cranking and gives two codes crankshaft position sensor and evap system pressure high
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was wondering if the reluctor ring may be backwards and how can I figure this out without breaking the engine down
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a scope so we can see what the crank signal looks like?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not

Then, I'm sorry, but I can't help you. I'll opt out so others may try. Do not reply until another expert responds or the site will revert this request back to me.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's possible that you have a failed sensor, a wiring issue, or it's definitely possible there is an issue with the tone wheel the sensor reads from. It may be damaged, installed incorrectly or the engine may have been assembled without one.

Was the timing cover on the engine when you received it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I received the engine it did not have a timing chain cover. It was my first time dealing with the reluctor ring so I may have put it on backwards. I'm hoping there is a way to check without breaking it down. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor but have not checked the wires. I put the distributor on and got it where I believe it should be since it has cam sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another thing they say the harmonic balancer should have two timing marks but all I see is the one so I lined it up with the pointer on the timing cover.

The key was in the crank, correct?

Was there any damage to the crank sensor that was removed?

Where did the replacement sensor come from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The reluctor ring slid on with the key in the slot, the old crank sensor was scratched up a little, and I bought it off ebay.

Can you use something such as a mirror to see if the tone wheel is centered under the crank sensor hole?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can see it the ring through the hole and it looks centered. Can you put these in backwards? I have a camera ordered so I can look inside if that can help out any.

It can install either direction but if it's centered then it should be ok.

What is the actual P code setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0336 crankshaft position sensor a ckt range/perf and p0453 evap emission control system press sensor high

A circuit code is an electrical issue. Has any testing been done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that's not my strong suit but I do have a voltage tester

The first thing that needs to be done is test the pullup voltage on the signal wire, the reference voltage and test the sensor ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Test these while the key is turned or just with the key on

You would test with the key on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All right Ive got the crank sensor figured out. It wasn't seated all the way. It was a tight fit and needed to be pushed in further but I'm still getting a no start with the evap high pressure code.

Does it have spark now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hooked up to number one spark plug and it did produce a spark.

It would be best to check all cylinders.

What is fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All right I had a chance to mess with the suburban again. The pressure on the fuel line is 60 psi when cranking. I get spark to cylinder number 1 but I have not checked other cylinders yet. When I was tightning the small bolts that hold the fuel line down to the intake I striped one but no fuel leaks so it looks like it's holding good.

Have you removed spark plugs to see if they're fouled?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've just put new ones on. How can you tell

If they're fouled then they would be covered with a liquid or solid, in this case most likely fuel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the spark plugs but they appear clean. They smell like gas but I didn't see any residue.

Have you checked for spark on the other cylinders yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, when I have the time I guess I'll check spark and clean them to see what that does

Ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had time to mess with the suburban today. I took off the intake and there is some oil on the front portion. It doesn't appear to have fuel leaking into it. I pulled a couple spark plugs. They smelled of gas but didn't appear to be covered. The fuel regulator was pretty nasty so I'm thinking of replacing it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the plugs might be fouled. It smells like fuel and I can see some in the threads. I replaced the plugs but should I try and crank it or will this foul out the new ones?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked 3 cylinders but I'll check them all tommorrow. Hopefully it doesn't foul them again.

Let's go ahead and check all cylinders and make sure spark is strong on all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got it figured out. Once I lined up the 6 and 8 on the distributor drop it in and let it turn. Then I rotate the distributor until the ***** *****nes up with the cam position sensor. Every tutorial that I looked at left out the last part. I appreciate your help and time. I was about to go nuts trying to figure this out.

I'm glad you got it fixed!