Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Unique problem getting 96 Tahoe out of park, Once I start

Customer Question

Unique problem getting 96 Tahoe out of park
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Once I start the engine I am unable to get the shifter out of park even though my foot is on the brake pedal. While keeping my foot on the pedal (same pressure) I then turn the key to the off position just enough that the engine stops, I can then move the shifter into neutral and start the car. This always works and although it provides great anti-theft protection, it's a real nuisance. So... what’s happening here?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 9 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

from the way you explain the problem,it sounds as if you have a bad shift interlock solenoid

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3egd5pnnkv24cem/0301-tahoe-RH%20side%20of%20steering%20column.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/3egd5pnnkv24cem/0301-tahoe-RH%20side%20of%20steering%20column.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help