Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

1997 Silverrado Z71 hard to get out of park,

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 1997 Silverrado Z71 hard to get out of park
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
did you receive my deposit?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Usually what causes this issue here if the shifter is shifting real hard from park is a fault with the shifter cable itself.I have seen the shifter cable fail in several cases before on this model here and had to replace it.It corrodes internally and causes this fault.

If it will not move from park at all and when it does finally move it shifts easy into any gear this can be an issue with the brake light switch not working above the brake pedal or an issue with the shifter release solenoid on the steering column as both of these can fail.If you have brake lights then the solenoid is at fault needing replaced but if you do not have brake lights then the brake switch needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete