Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Mech / Electronics
Experience:  Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

Replaced battery on 2003 impala now radio says locked and

Customer Question

replaced battery on 2003 impala now radio says locked and security light is on
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I purchased the car 1 wk ago. then it would not start and when I got it jumped it started but odometer and radio not working. then after shut off for a few hours things worked again but next day wouldn't start. got new battery now starts but security light on and battery light on and radio will not turn on but says locked
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 9 months ago.

.

sorry for the delay............
.
Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (aka MOLurch) and I look forward to helping you!”
.
IF this is Factory Radio;
Because the Radio shows "Locked", & the Security Light is on, this is likely a BCM (body control module & / or Communication Module issue
The BCM & Communication Module commands the different Modules to turn On & IF the Radio show "Locked", then the BCM is NOT Programmed with that Radio info
You will need use of GM Dealer Scan Tool to Test & Program the BCM & Communication Module & to Reprogram the GM Radio
apprx 1 hour labor

.
IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.
.
Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A.
.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service
.