AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Engine turns over but no start,getting spark at the

Customer Question

engine turns over but no start,getting spark at the plugs,50ish fuel psi,replaced fuel filter anyhow.no engine codes. 2007 chev.cobalt 2.2l
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: checked/replaced fuel pump fuse and relay.checked all the fuses I could find. i'm thinking about replacing all the fuses anyhow that has anything to do with starting or engine operations
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: i'm trying to but I may have to bring in to the dealership. i'm baffled,it appears to be getting fuel,spark
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Does the engine start and run on starting fluid?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
also pulled fuel rail and had fuel from injectors
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

So the engine does run on starting fluid? Let me do some digging for you and reply back after dinner. Thank you

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay! Can you send me your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1g1ak55fx77324107
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Ok, thank you for that information. If the engine runs on starting fluid then the problem is just a lack of fuel. You are either missing fuel pressure or injector pulse. If the engine is in fact getting fuel, then maybe you just have bad gas...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I read somewhere on a blog about a 2 stage fuel pump for this car. Not quite sure what that means.i guess maybe my next step is to drain fuel tank and put in known good fuel
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What's up about needing vin number?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Ok, I am now able to respond.. not sure what is going on..

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

If I dont respond, that means this site is having some issues. Anyway there is only one fuel pump on this vehicle and there is no need for an extra fuel pump.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

It is possible that you have bad fuel. If what you are telling me is true, I suppose it is possible that you have bad gas. Just be sure that there is plenty of fuel pressure and that the injectors are spraying fuel while cranking..

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The fuel psi gauge read in the fifties when turning the key on and checked injectors a couple times and I did see fuel coming from the injectors.i cleaned the throttle body. I did notice the gas was colored yellow but I figured it was just probably just an additive put in for winter blend fuel as I live in northern mn. I tried burning some of the gas and it burned just fine
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

But the engine runs nice and smooth using starting fluid correct? Can you upload a video showing me this? You will need to post it on youtube and send me the link. The more detail the better. I do work all day today but will be back on line tonight. I will be looking forward to you reply!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm working on this car in my driveway and I will try and get a video to you as soon as I can, probably not until the weekend as I work all week and it's dark when I get off work. The engine runs like normal on starting fluid, it does not have a miss
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Ok, sounds good! Thank you very much! I will be looking forward to your reply.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well, I drained the fuel and put in known good fuel. That was the ticket. Car is up and running again. Thank you for the help