George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

I HAVE AN ERROR CODE P1860 ON MY 2000 SUBURBAN, DOES THIS

Customer Question

MY NAME IS***** HAVE AN ERROR CODE P1860 ON MY 2000 SUBURBAN, DOES THIS EFFECT EMISSIONS AND WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON, MARYLAND EMISSIONS GAVE ME THE CODE
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 9 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

This code means the torque converter is not locking properly so with the extra slippage you will have increased fuel usage which causes increased emissions.

Usually there is a check ball in the transmission valve body that wears the hole it is plugging and that allows leakage rather than sealing the passage. A company called Sonax make a repair kit for this issue and once the valve body is removed it can be installed. The whole repair should be about $300.

It is possible this is an electrical fault, that can be diagnosed before a repair is attempted and it could be something as simple as a broken wire. Diagnosis runs about $100 per hour and this should not take more than 1 hour to diagnoses.

Please let me know how I can help you with your questions

Thank you