Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Yah my 1993 camero Z28 has the security dash light on and

Customer Question

yah my 1993 camero Z28 has the security dash light on and wont let me start it. whats the next best step?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: well it has always started right up no problem until today, and i know for for sure its not mechanical, it just thinks im trying to steal it.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** most likely means the ignition lock cylinder has failed which is responsible for reading resistor built into key. To know for sure first use multi meter to test resistance of key. Then access the two white wires going into ignition switch, both should show same resistance as key whenever you put key in lock cylinder and turning it, if not replace the lock cylinder. This would cost around $250 to have done at a shop. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.