Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Ihave the 2000 blazer security flashing light what can I do

Customer Question

Ihave the 2000 blazer security flashing light what can I do wont start
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 12 months ago.

the security light in the dash is blinking when your cranking it over ?

has anything been done yet to correct this issue yet ?

did this issue start out of the blue one day ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It doesn't crank, just blinks, just happened after trans was repaired.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

ok trans was replaced and now its doing this and was fine before transmission replacement ?

is this security system the stock system or is it aftermarket system ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
was fine before repair it's stock
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

ok if you open the hood and turn the key ON and remove the starter relay if you jump terminal 30 to 87 of the terminals in the box the relay plugs into will it crank over and start up and run ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Really, i'm not a mechanic is there a way to bypass the thing or is this an act in futility.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

the stock security system NEVER shuts off the truck from being able to physically crank over it just shuts off the fuel injectors

since it will not crank just after a transmission change then the issue will usually be the neutral switch at the transmission or the wiring to it was damaged or a blown fuse IGNC or IGNA

this engine will NOT crank if either fuse is blown OR if that neutral switch is bad or the wiring or connector at the neutral switch

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The Aamco guy got the truck running after this occurred, then after they started it they locked the truck with it running then put a ballon in the door to open, drove it home, it was ok yesterday but this morning same thing security light on, blinking turn to start and get nothing. Tried to lock the door as the manual stated security light went out but no start. I checked the fuses, and i'll check them again.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

ok can you close and lock and unlock the drivers door a few times and try it then do the same with the passenger door will it still do this ?

like i said the stock system will NOT do this i have a feeling there is some kind of after market system in this truck no one knows about

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no luck same thing guess I eat it as for aftermarket I don't see anything other than chevy products that looks like aftermarket this shows everything as in owner manual. Will jump starting do anything to wake it up.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

no it will not

is there a small light blinking in the dash ? a small LED ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Another thing is it sounds like power running to the fuel pump in the tank but shuts off.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no small light, I have that in my 2015 silverado.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

can you remove the bottom plastic panel under the steering column and look for any after market wiring or a black type box under there ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll go and look
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There's nothing under there, small back piece that has ABS-PC stamped on it .
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Meant Black piece
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

are those 2 fuses i said too check ok ?

if so do you have a test light or multi meter on hand ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the fuses are good and no meter
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

we need to see which signal we are missing to the starter relay

there is no where i can see where any computer or security system stock should stop the starter from operating

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't understand how something goes wrong, the truck starts runs good for a day or two then same thing occurs seems something may be loose not actually bad otherwise it would not start. Doesn't make sense.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

i agree

and that starting circuit uses NO computers to operate the ignition switch sends 12 volts through the fuse called CRANK and powers the relay to send power to the starter solenoid

are the connections at the starter clean and tight ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
from what i can see they look ok so jump starting won't reset the system?
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

it should not

as there is nothing or system to rest

if it starts up with a jump start then we have a battery or power issue

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Don't think that is the case the radio and lights all work. My son tells me he lost the background lights on the dash and radio can't see anything at night. Don't know if that's related.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Just in case this is some type of security fault here,try this relearn procedure and let me know if it works to correct this issue here.

30 MINUTE RE-LEARN PROCEDURE

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).

3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.

4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the PASSLOCK(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the PASSLOCK(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine.

If this worked the engine will start.If this does not work let me know so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete