GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2000 s10 with 2.2L/5-Speed that starts & runs great

Customer Question

I have a 2000 s10 with 2.2L/5-Speed that starts & runs great sometimes and other times it only spins over & over by the starter without starting. It doesn't seem to matter whether it has just been running (engine hot or cold) or not. It is a Flex Fuel (VIN 5) and does not appear to have a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail (like my 1999 S10). Sometimes (not all) it will finally start normally during a no start episode if I switch the ignition on for a few seconds (without engaging the starter) and off several times before engaging the starter again (as if a fuel regulator is failing). I have replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter and the problem continues. When it starts, it may start normally for days/weeks or it may not start the next morning. When it starts, it runs completely normal. I just can't trust that it is going to start back up. Any suggestions?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have check for spark and there appears to be spark during the no start episodes.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 9 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

does it have fuel pressure when it wont start?

will it start with a prime[a little fuel or starting fluid] when it wont start?

does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the trouble codes?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I haven't been to prime the engine when the no-start condition occurs. It usually happens when it's not possible (like leaving the car wash, or leaving for work). I haven't checked to see whether the fuel pressure is adequate (or leaking down) either. It does have a new fuel pump & filter.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have owned this truck for 3 years and the check engine light has always been on. Although it has started/ran great, it has always had a P0410 code because a someone had removed the secondary air injection system. The only other code is a P0141 Code for the downstream O2 Sensor

SORRY,i have been off line..

we relly need to check to see if it will start with a prime or the fuel pressure,i need to know if we are loosing the spark or fuel when this happens,,and a prime is a good test.

thanks