Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Still have an issue with extreme smoking exhaust.

Customer Question

still have an issue with extreme smoking exhaust. Haven't messed with it since last july. Had it checked and their code reader said 'no data available' for injector readouts. I have 2002 duramax I ton Dually, I am getting 14.7 mpg around town with occasional trailer duty. 202000 miles injectors about 70,000 miles ago. Smoke looks white unless I really hammer it. No noticeable loss of coolant and normal temperatures observed. Also has normal power. Under hard load maybe slight hill with trailer not real heavy I can lay down a major smoke field! Any clues? I am prepared to pay again! Thanks!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Even though the fuel injectors have already been replaced it is common around the 70,000 to 80,000 miles mark unfortunately that they start to fail again on this engine here.I would have the fuel injectors balance test done to see if one or more is found to be at fault.This will have to be done with a scan tool that can read the injector data signals.Most likely the scan tool or code reader that was used is one that cannot do this.If you need the info on how to check these and what the values should be let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete