GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 97 chevy Tahoe, which currently has no tachometer,

Customer Question

hi there - I have a 97 chevy Tahoe, which currently has no tachometer, speedometer or gear shift indicator light... any guidance would be greatly appreciated since I'm getting ripped off by mechanics who keep fixing things that aren't broke and the problem persists
JA: It's good that your Chevy is giving you information about the problem. The Chevy Mechanic will know what to do. What model and year is your Chevy?
Customer: 97 Tahoe*****
JA: What year is your 4?
Customer: 97
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no, just hoping to find the actual problem so that I can get IT fixed, instead of just fixing things and hoping that it'll get better
JA: OK! The Chevy Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Are you ready to speak with the Chevy Mechanic now?
Customer: I'm ready when he is!
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
also should note that its not starting in 1st gear... by the feel of it I'd say 2nd or 3rd - like driving through molasses
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

It sounds like you may have a cluster problem.

To start, you mentioned that other mechanics had already looked at it, what has been tried already?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
well, they (very expensively) ripped out the aftermarket alarm (came with truck when I bought it) after disconnecting it, claiming it was shorting out the system, I had the ignition switch replaced, tried cleaning the pnp where it connects to the tranny...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
at first the problem was intermittent... after cleaning the end of the pnp it worked perfect for about a week and now its an all the time problem, not intermittent anymore. used to just turn truck off/on a few times and itd be ok - no longer the case
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
also - engine light on, dash says check gauges, if that means anything to you... over the last 2 years I've put more money into this truck than it's worth... I'm and can't afford to play the "maybe it's this game" anymore - since my mechanic seems clueless I'd rather at least point him in the right direction before I head back
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sorry - that should say "I'm tapped and can't afford to play the"
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry, I keep getting pulled away here at the shop.

Has anyone checked the voltage signal from the ignition switch?

Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

Monitor voltage on the following fuses when the engine is a no-start: IGNE, ECM 1, ENG 1.

If voltage is low at any of the fuses, suspect a faulty ignition switch.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I literally just had the ignition switch replaced. By no-start, do you mean when the truck doesn't start? If so, that hasn't happened yet.
Only the tachometer, speedometer, gear shift indicator light - and odometer (sorry, forgot to mention it) don't work at all. They used to work intermittently, but now not at all... wouldn't a fuse simply blow?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I figure its either the dashboard cluster or pnp switch... is there a way to tell the difference?
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

There is probably a connection issue at the back of the cluster. We see those all of the time. Let me look up a wiring schematic to see where there could be an issue at the switch.