Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon,
Experience:  Lead tech at river regions auto
90546729

I Have a 1997 Chevy K1500 Suburban with 5.7l with floor

Customer Question

I Have a 1997 Chevy K1500 Suburban with 5.7l with floor shift 4wd.
I recently replaced my 5 pin electric 4wd actuator on the front end and the front diff is locking in but now my 4wd indicator light is barely lighting up. I tested it with a meter and I am only getting 2.5 volts at the bulb and on the white/black stripe wire at the plug.
What would cause the light not to get full voltage but still allow the actuator to engage an disengage properly.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

this may be because of a bad 4wd/differential sensor located on the front differential..

the sensor may not be grounded well or,the sensor itself is just bad

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no other sensors on the front differential. This truck came factory with the 5 pin electric actuator. I believe the old style thermal setup used an additional sensor but I do not see one on this setup. Some additional information is that light worked with the old actuator when you could get it to engage. Also the wire I was referring to in the original questions is actually black/white stripe not vise versa.

i see,,,sense it did in fact work with the old actuator,,i would think the problem is this actuator,,it just doesnt have as good a grond signal for the light as your old one..

there may not be a fix other than trying another actuator

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I actually had the parts store warranty it out and it didn't help but there is a small chance that the parts store had a run of faulty parts. Based off of the wiring diagrams I can find the actuator is the only thing that sends a signal to the bulb.

if it doesnt have the sensor,,the actuator is the only thing that gives it the signal...and,it worked with your old one

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your answer, but could I ask to open the question up to others to see if anyone might have additional information?
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

1. Check for power on the Brown wire, at the switch on top of the Transfer Case, with the key on.

2. Check the 4WD fuse for being blown. With the Transfer Case in 4WD, check for power on the Blue wire, backprobed at the switch on the Transfer Case.

3. Disconnect the actuator in front, with it in 4WD, and see if it has power and ground on the Blue and Black wire.

Tech Tips:Power is supplied on the Brown wire to the switch, and when put in 4WD, the switch on the Transfer Case closes and puts power out on the Blue wire to the Actuator in the front. The Actuator is always grounded, so when it gets power on the Blue wire, it should activate to lock the front end.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The actuator is engaging it just is not sending full voltage to the black/ white stripe wire which supplies power to the 4wd indicator light. When you shift into 4hi or 4lo the actuator extends like it should but I am only getting 2.5 volts at the plug on the black/white stripe wire.

Your truck is the year model that they changed factory had a tsb which involved adding an extra wire, was that done to yours and was it done properly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My truck came factory with the 5 pin electric actuator. The light worked fine with the old actuator before it failed. The new one works just spent supply proper voltage to the light.

How about thr pin in the connector and thr wire is it good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sir, I actually repaired it earlier. I had the luck of having 2 faulty actuators back to back. Took the one back to Advance auto and bought one from Napa. Works just fine now.