Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

My check engine light came on and it said it is has a

Customer Question

My check engine light came on and it said it is has a throttle position sensor malfunction and an o2 sensor problem. Do you think the throttle body may just need cleaned?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The car drives fine, but it seems to have slight difficulties between gears. It isn't stalling out anymore(I recently fixed an exhaust leak), but it idles pretty low sometimes.
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Chevy Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Certainly
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything yet. I know my car is about due for an oil change, and I was thinking of trying to clean the throttle body.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: Thats it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 9 months ago.

Hello, ya know? both the codes set can cause exact issues you are having, Cant be 100% as I am not there but tps code, o2 code, symptoms and so on? sure 110% you want to do a TB service.This you can do but follow this, get can of carb cleaner. Remove the inatke air hose from the throttle body, Gently spray in cleaner around TB bore and butterfly, Not too much, black gum will run out, this is GOOD, then slip hose back on, start and rev and blow out, Repeat this exact same cleaning say 4-5 more times till the bore is nice and shiny clean. This should be done once per 6 mos or at most once per year, This may fix all, The o2 code reading not valid info as well as the TPS code. Sure, TPS could be at fault, cant rule that out but way before jumping to TPS? I would surely dot he cleaning procedure