Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

How to shut off traction control on a chevy hhr 2006
,

Customer Question

how to shut off traction control on a chevy hhr 2006
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: every time I hit a rough spot on the road the traction comes on and stays on even on small bumps
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: Yes I have a rattling noise when I go over bumps, I checked the struts, the sway bars and bushings and could not find anything loose. Any ideas
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

if you have a broken or loose wheel speed sensor then these can set off the traction control prematurely,

with traction systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.

The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.

Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.

you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.

This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.