GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 plus years. experience as GM technician, ASE Master Technician and GM Certified.
70078276

Do u have to take the whole dash board apart to change the

Customer Question

Do u have to take the whole dash board apart to change the ambient light sensor on an HHR?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Both low beam head lamps went out simultaneously. High beams work. Ruled out fuses (relay?)
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Beyond changing the bulbs, which I haven't done yet, I'm worried it's an electrical problem. Switch, or shorted wire. Very suspicious they went out simultaneously, which is why I haven't bothered with the bulbs yet. Would like to avoid spending $25 on bulbs that I won't need
Expert:  GM Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hello thank you for requesting me.

To replace the ambient sensor. The upper trim panel has to be removed including the passenger air bag module.

Why do you want to replace it? If it was bad you would ether have park lights and headlamps on or off all the time

If you have power to both left and right low beam fuses with the headlamps on in low beam setting.

Both bulbs maybe bad. I have found melted connectors at the bulbs.

Let me know if this helps

Thank you

Expert:  GM Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hello checking to see if you still need help