GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2012 Chevy malibu 2.4 vvt. Vehicle came to stop while

Customer Question

2012 Chevy malibu 2.4 vvt. Vehicle came to stop while driving. Code came up as exhaust camshaft sensor issue. Component was fine. Upon further inspection I find a crack in the head where it bolts up to the camshaft caps right near where the sensor reads. On the intake side I find 2 valve rocker arm/cam followers broke in two stuck between the cam and and valve. All data has been my resource and I'm guessing itl need a new head. Should i buy replacement rocker arms and see if itll turn over? Also sediment in oil. Where do I go from here?
@
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 9 months ago.

i would pull the head and inspect the pistons and manually turn the motor over to see if the rotating assembly is undamaged..

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do I really need the camshaft actuator locking tool or a timing chain retention guide if so purchase alone kinda breaks budget? If the bottom half checks out okay do I just get it to Tdc on #1 and put a new head on it how does the install alignment process go?

have you priced a head and timing componets? likely cheaper and easier to go a used motor

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You think it may be more cost effective to go with a motor swap?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well I'll attempt to pull the head and see what's going on

let me know