Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Where is the xfer case relay located on a 2006 tahoe?

Customer Question

where is the xfer case relay located on a 2006 tahoe? vehicle has an annoying hum on initial acceleration when in 2WH. does not hum when Auto AWD is selected. hum appears to be coming from dash area behind instrument cluster. Your thoughts please!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Your transfer case is controlled by the transfer case control module which has relays built into it.The transfer case control module is a known fault and one of the relays built into it may be failing causing the noise you hear here.The transfer case shift control module is located behind the dash on the drivers side behind the head lamp switch itself as shown here.https://www.dropbox.com/s/oguolesaaylheyy/tcase-02-19.gif?dl=0.

If the 4wd is shifting in and out of 4wd properly I suspect this control module has an internal electrical fault causing this noise here needing replaced to correct this issue.

When it is replaced you either have to order it in pre programmed from an after market parts store or replace it with a new one from a dealer then have the dealer program it.The cost for this module can run around $230 and about an hour to replace and program it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete