GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Climate control is not staying cool. It is intermitting.

Customer Question

Climate control is not staying cool. It is intermitting. Compressor comes on and then goes off. Checked freon it is right on point. Is the acuaiter door? I can get it to cool only at acceleration or deacceleration
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

What you are describing sounds like short cycling. If the compressor is cycling on and off and will only get cold when accelerating it is probably overcharged. Do you have a set of manifold gauges to test the system pressure and make sure it's not overcharged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is my other phone
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, is someone else already helping you via the phone call feature?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Charged to correct pressure now and still will not stay engaged long enough to cool off truck, compressor engages and disengage at controlled speed and will not cool down truck. Could I have a problem with the damper door inside cab
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

I thought you no longer needed help when I never received a response.

A bad blend door is definitely possible. When you change from hot to cold on the control head can you hear any change in the sounds coming from the dash? Clicking, movement, air flow differences?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the blender doors shut and air comes out where it is suppose to come out, blower works , can control speeds. When I ask for colder air, compressor will cooler until it starts kicking in and out, it will only raise the speed of the blower to try and keep up.
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

So the compressor still kicks in and out?

Have you checked the orifice tube to make sure it isn't plugged? Does the airflow seem adequate or is the evaporator possibly restricted (do you own a dog-we see them plug up all the time in vehicles were dogs are frequent passengers)?