Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have a 99 Chevy tracker 2.0 L 4 x 4 and it will not start.

Customer Question

I have a 99 Chevy tracker 2.0 L 4 x 4 and it will not start . It has spark it has compression and it has feel I do have an RPM readIng. My local mechanic can't figure it out.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

it may have a bd crank sensor as that signal is what commands the pcm to fire the fuel injectors.

is there any codes???

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An EGR code only. But if you give it a little ether though the throttle body it still won't start or run. The timing marks look to be correct via si. It has new one spark plugs gapped at .40 . What else tcould it be? The best we have gotten is it to pop a couple of times.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

you said it has fuel??? what is the fuel pressure??? what is the compression????

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The compression is that 150 per cylinder and the fuel pressure sitting at around 58 through 65 PSI
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

how is the spark???

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bright white Sparks on all cylinders
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

did he have the distributor out during the timing belt replacement???

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no distributor it's fuel injected and it has timing chains not a timing belt and they are all tight and in time.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

is this the set up you have???

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is in the right cam is sitting at about 3 o'clock and the left cam is sitting at about 9 o'clock at TDC
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

according to the diagram, that is not correct. do all the line line up as in the picture???

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was mistaken I talked with the tech and it is at those marks this Tech works at a Chevy dealer.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

and he cannot get it running??? wow. I am out of ideas. I will open this up to the other guys to see if they have any better ideas

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K thank you I do have some mechanical experience but this one through me through a loop that's the reason why I wanted to get others ideas
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** will try to help. What are the code numbers he is getting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dealership is already closed but I know it was an EGR code he said he said that he even went so far as to remove the EGR tube and block off the intake piece to aluminate the EGR as the issue. He also took out the O2 sensor to aluminate a restricted exhaust
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tracker did run and drive five months ago but then the crank pulley rubber went bad and so it was parked

I see that compression is at 150 per cylinder.... Can you post the results for each cylinder when you reach him and the codes? I was thinking crank sensor signal as well but it seams you are getting RPM reading and fuel and spark. If the timing and other checks check out good I recommend locating a test ECM and trying that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll let you know what the code is tomorrow.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P404
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From what I read it will not want to Idle but it doesn't even want to start . The best that we've gotten is for it to pop a couple of times.

Have you tried unplugging the EGR? Also removing it to see if it is carboned up and sticking? another thing the troubleshooting says is a possible failed PCM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah the only problem that I have with the PCM failure is a fact I still get RPM reading We can read all the sensors and they all are showing and we can function the EGR it just is not within parameters

I had an EGR cause a crank no start on a 2.2 L GM engine before actually. I luckily had another faulty EGR but it allowed the engine to start but idle erratically where one would not. It was odd but sometimes strange things can happen..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have them put one in and see what happens. I thing is i'm one of those type of people I don't like throwing parts at things

In this case the EGR is definitely bad and needs to be changed but I understand it may or may not be a cause of your no start but you can get these pretty inexpensive on the web if you do not mind waiting... I believe you can find them for 30-50 range online rather than 65- over 100 at some parts stores

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where did you find yours online for between 30 and $50? The cheapest one I found runs $235
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The part number I found ACDELCO(###) ###-####

I was referencing the one for the 2.2 L I had to buy. Sorry for the confusion.... I just checked on this one and the cheapest is around 230.00 on e bay free shipping. BWD EGR1681 or EGR Valve NAPA 226581

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
we finally figured out what it was . It'd been crank so many times that the oil had so much gas in it that it was flooding the cylinders. After an oil change and cleaning up the spark plugs and clearing the cylinders it fired right up and runs good . Who would've thought it would've been something so simple .