George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

I picked up a interior Heater/Defroster 2009 Chevy Impala.

Customer Question

I picked up a interior Heater/Defroster for my 2009 Chevy Impala. The device states: Do not plug into a cigarette lighter. That it needs a : 12 volt DC receptacle that is rated at 15 A. The owners manual states that the 3 accessory power outlets are rated at 12 volts, but I cannot figure out if they are 15A???
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing, just reading instructions to see if it will fit.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 9 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The receptacles are fused at 20 amps so you can run this from the receptacle BUT I have seen this type of device damage the receptacle so to be safe and to run this you will need a dedicated circuit from the battery. You can connect an inline fuse to the battery positive with 14 or 12 gauge wire, install a 20 amp fuse and a lighter outlet to plug the heater in. Outside of installing a dedicated circuit there is no safe way to operate it with your system.

Please let me know how I can help

Thank you

Click here for diagram

Check that and it is how the chain should be installed