Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years experience with ASE Certs
7276279

I put antifreeze in this morning and now it's over heating..

Customer Question

Rich, I put antifreeze in this morning and now it's over heating..
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Car was running fine. on Sunday I looking into the radiator overfill tank and it look low so I put in1 gallon this morning. And now it's overheating
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Can you tell me what your working on, year make and model as well as your engine size?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2003 350
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Overheating
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Okay its a 2003 , I need the model , and engine size as well.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Corvette. 5.7
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Okay, if you have had to add a gallon of coolant into the overfill tank then that indicates you have a coolant leak and now likely have trapped air in the cooling system. I would start first with having a cooling system pressure test performed to determine where the coolant is leaking and after the leak is found and corrected then do a refill and bleed the system. See the drain and fill steps in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Drain%20and%20fill%20Feb%2017.pdf

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I drive it. Sometimes the temp goes down. Then all the way back up.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

That is a sure sign of having trapped air in the cooling system. You need to check for leaks with doing the pressure test and then fill and bleed the system. I think this will resolve the problem.