Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Seem to have a broken wire,? ground wire attached to under

Customer Question

seem to have a broken wire, ? ground wire attached to under hood and/or fire wall --Orange sticker with 9982 on it. There is another smaller diameter wire secured to it from the driver side through the firewall. The truck will not start and does not take a jump. ? if it belongs attached somewhere.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: does not jump start. No power at all. Advised on the web it might be loose ground. I found the wire broken on both ends and the smaller one through the firewall not attached to the engine. Trying to find where to hook it. ???under hood??
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: lots of rust. was getting radio no shutting off at times, and airbag service light on. Heard that might be ground wire issue as well.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

Ok, I need to know the year, model, and engine size of your Chevy as I dont see it listed.

It would help to see the wire and its location more than a written description, so if you can take a photo of it and use the paperclip icon to upload it here so I can take a look.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2005 gmc sierra 1500 4x4 5.3L V8
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

HI,

I have a diagram showing those two coming out of the firewall but it doesnt show where they go to and I have checked every routing diagram I have. I will opt out and see if another expert has the correct information

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

The prior tech has opted out, would you like me to try and help?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The truck runs with a new battery, but the wires that broke off seem to be from the hood screw and the firewall. The smaller wire runs from the driver side through firewall to ??? hood screw. The large wire with 9982 in orange is free floating, broke at both ends. Need to make sure the wires go to certain spots. Do I need that 9982 wire to go from hood to firewall screws?

Below is a wire diagram link showing all wires used to start the vehicle.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/Sierrastart.pdf

When you say this wire attaches to the hood screw can you better explain that, are you saying its a ground connection at the hood?