Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

2000 chevy truck was running fine always started right up

Customer Question

2000 chevy truck was running fine always started right up ,shut it off to check brake lights,truck would not start after that......pulled out fuel relay and put it back in and still no start.what could have happened?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

you need to check and see if it has any spark or fuel pressure. try spraying some carb cleaner into the air filter and see if it starts and stalls.

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok im not at the truck yet and have no pc there if it fires with carb cleaner then what,if it doesn't then what?
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

if it does, then you have a fuel delivery issue. check all fuses with a test light. if they are all good then it may be a failed fuel pump.

if it does not, then you have a spark problem. it could be a crank sensor or a coil. you will need a test light to test for power on both sides of the coil

start there

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did check all fuses and they were good.When I turn the key on shouldn't I hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds? And shouldn't I be able to hear the pump relay click when the key is turned on?
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

yes, the pump will run for only 2 seconds. that is a prime time. it will turn on full while cranking

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok thanks Roy Lets say it doesn't fire with a shot into the throttle body then what would I look for. Can unhooking the battery reset anything in the computer
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

no, that does nothing.

you need to check for spark as I stated

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

how are you making out