BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a 1999 chevy tracker 2.0 4x4. it recently broke the

Customer Question

i have a 1999 chevy tracker 2.0 4x4. it recently broke the small timing chain. ive replaced all the time parts and got it to do a rough start the first time I got it put back together, I got a dtc of p0304. I retook it apart and reassembled after a little fine tuning. this time car would start ok but rough idle with same code being p0304( which is cylinder 4 misfire). could I have time 180 degrees out and still start? how do insure that the motor is on correct time starting with the big chain and so forth?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. This engine is known as an interference motor. That means that if a chain breaks the piston will hit the valves. You need to do a compression test. I would guess that the valves on the #4 cylinder got bent and that is why you are getting that misfire. If the timing was off that much it would not start and you would typically get a backfire. Please let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how do insure that the motor is on time as I put things back together( timing versus cam degree)?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 9 months ago.

If you aligned it as in the attached diagrams then that is all that needs to be done.