Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

I converted my 1981 corvette to the MSD fuel injection

Customer Question

I converted my 1981 corvette to the MSD fuel injection system. I installed a 82 fuel sending and pump into my car because I went with a intank fuel pump system. However I have not been able to get my fuel gage to operate.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I've done the converting and it runs beautifully also built the motor installed the overdrive tranny. basically all work done to this car is by me.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Pulled the sending unit out and run tests but the fuel gage indicator is pegged past the full mark.
JA: It's good that it's giving you information about the problem. The Chevy Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: I actually am thinking it is a power supply problem as the fuel pump is the returnless fuel system and runs on a demand from the MSD controller.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hi there,

Are you using the MSD Atomic EFI?

I would run an external surge tank system and keep the original sender.

A low pressure pump can feed the surge tank. Excess from the tank goes back to main tank.

MSD pump draws from surge tank.

Your new sender must not be compatible with your gauge.

Your thoughts?

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

Have you had any thoughts about my suggestions?

A lot of high powered cars run a surge tank system.

It is the way I would do it.

Regards

Gary

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It was poor answer. This is about wiring and not about s tank problem. It may have to do with ohms. Obviously you have no clue.
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

My answer to you was to keep the sender compatible to the gauge, now you have a sender and gauge that aren't compatible.

I'm a mechanic and a telecommunications tech, so I know electrics VERY WELL.

Are you a mechanic also?

Do you own a resistance box, where you can dial up an EXACT value of resistance, to check gauge operation against manufacturers specs?

Do you have the senders resistance versus float arm height specs?

I wish you luck in how you solve this.

Gary