BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2005 GMC Sierra 1500. Drivers side seat heater comes on by

Customer Question

2005 GMC Sierra 1500. Drivers side seat heater comes on by itself, dash display says "passenger seat ajar" (it is not), drivers side door wont lock. It tries to lock then pops back to unlock, esp when I put it in drive. All onset together. Thanks,
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

JA: Cars do make very odd noises -- They help the mechanics figure out what's wrong. They are terrific with my old Grand Cherokee. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: that would be ideal
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. I have come across similar issues many times. Most of the time it is caused the body control module failing. I have also seen quite a few issues with the wiring that goes into the door breaking or chaffing and causing a short. Both of these are common. Did you plan on fixing this yourself?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
yeah so the body control module, is that something that has to be replaced or reprogrammed? The wiring all looks fine. Is that something I can do myself? Im a pretty savvy shadetree mechanic but havent done that before.Thanks.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 9 months ago.

You can install a new body control module, but it does need to be reprogrammed with a factory scan tool. If not then the modules will not communicate with one another.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
cool so I can go out and get one and then have the mech program it? Seems straight forward. Does it have to be the dealer or can any good shop do this?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 9 months ago.

Any shop that has the right scan tool to do it is able to. Typically a TECH II scanner is needed.