JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

My 2001 chev 2500hd has p1875. Code. Won't shift out of 3rd

Customer Question

My 2001 chev 2500hd has p1875. Code. Won't shift out of 3rd and service 4 wd is on
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 9 months ago.

Test 8-9

Circuit Description with 4L80-E / 4L85-E Automatic Transmission
Vehicles equipped with an active transfer case have a Four-Wheel Drive (4WD) low circuit consisting of a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) , an active transfer case control module, and the circuit wiring. The active transfer case control module controls the 4WD low signal circuit. When the operator selects 4WD low, the active transfer case control module grounds the low signal circuit, and the 4WD low signal voltage on the circuit changes from ignition voltage to zero volts. The PCM then compensates for transfer case gear reduction in the Automatic Transmission Output Shaft Speed (AT OSS) signal. The PCM uses the transmission OSS signal to adjust shift points, line pressure and Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) scheduling.
Vehicles not equipped with an active transfer case have a 4WD low circuit consisting of a PCM, transfer case switch and the circuit wiring. The transfer case switch is used to control the 4WD low signal circuit. When the operator moves the 4WD selector lever to 4WD low, the transfer case switch closes, and the 4WD low signal circuit changes from B+ voltage to zero volts. The PCM then compensates for transfer case gear reduction in the automatic transmission output (shaft) speed sensor (AT OSS) readings. The PCM uses the transmission OSS signal in order to adjust shift points, line pressure and TCC scheduling.
If the PCM detects a continuous open or short to ground in the 4WD low signal circuit, then DTC P1875 sets. DTC P1875 is a type C DTC. For California emissions vehicles DTC P1875 is a type B DTC.

Conditions for Running the DTC

• No MAP sensor DTCs P0106, P0107 or P0108.
  • No TP sensor DTCs P0121, P0122 or P0123.
  • No AT OSS DTCs P0502 or P0503.
  • No AT ISS DTCs P0716 or P0717.
  • No 1-2 SS valve DTCs P0751, P0752 or P0753.
  • No 2-3 SS valve DTCs P0756, P0757 or P0758.
  • No TFP manual valve position switch DTC P1810.
  • No TCC PWM solenoid DTC P1860.
  • The engine is running at least 400 RPM for 7 seconds.
  • The TFP manual valve position switch is D4.
  • The TP sensor is 10-100 percent.
  • The TFT is 20 - 132°C (68 - 266°F) .
  • The system voltage is 8.0-18.0 volts.
  • The engine torque must be between 95 Nm (70 ft. lbs.) and:
  • 6.0 L: 576 Nm (425 ft. lbs.)
  • 8.1 L: 881 Nm (650 ft. lbs.)
  • Vehicle speed is greater than 2 km/h (11 mph) .

Conditions for Setting the DTC

• All conditions for running the DTC are met, and one of the following conditions occur:
  • The four-wheel drive low circuit is closed (grounded) for more than 7 seconds with a transfer case ratio of 0.95-1.05:1, for 1 occurrence.
  • The four-wheel drive low circuit is open for 2 seconds, with a transfer case ratio of 2.68-2.76:1 in two different commanded gears for 2 occurrences.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• The PCM assumes a 4WD low state if measured transfer case ratio is between 2.68 and 2.76.
  • The PCM assumes a non-4WD low state if the measured transfer case ratio is between 0.95 and 1.05.
  • The PCM freezes shift adapts from being updated.
  • The PCM records the operating conditions when the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met. The PCM stores this information as Freeze Frame (Calif. only) and Failure Records (Calif. and Federal).
  • The PCM stores the DTC P1875 in PCM history during the second consecutive trip (Calif.) or the first trip (Federal) in which the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

• For California emissions, the PCM turns OFF the MIL during the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic test runs and passes.
  • A scan tool can clear the MIL/DTC.
  • For California emissions, the PCM clears the DTC from PCM history if the vehicle completes 40 warm-up cycles without an emission related diagnostic fault occurring.
  • For Federal emissions, the PCM clears the DTC from PCM history if the vehicle completes 40 warm-up cycles without a non-emission related diagnostic fault occurring.
  • The PCM cancels the DTC default actions when the fault no longer exists and the ignition switch is OFF long enough in order to power down the PCM.

Diagnostic Aids

• Low pump pressure and a slipping transmission may cause DTC P1875 to set,
  • Transfer case ratio is calculated by dividing the ISS by the OSS.

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

1. This step tests for a short to ground in the signal circuit (CKT 1694).
  2. This step tests for

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you