sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My interior lights inop,blow fuse as soon as I put it in..I

Customer Question

my interior lights inop,blow fuse as soon as I put it in..I know there is a direct short but where do I look first for issue
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I just bought a 97 Astro awd,so far so good seems to run great but noticed that the interior lights don't come on or work period. Looked at fuse it was blwn,so went to replace fuse and it arcs and blows new fuse immediately,Im a mechanic so I know this means a direct short,but never owning an astro I dont know where to start my search for short
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yup
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing..just got to the fuse blowing part and don't want to start ripping things up til I know where to start
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: well the blower motor works intermittently but that might be a ground issue
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The courtesy lamp circuit is huge and the problem may be literally anywhere from under the hood to the rear of the van including in the doors.

Is it the 20 amp CTSY FUSE 3 fuse that's blowing?

Did the problem start after any work was done?

Were there any courtesy lights that weren't working?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
its the ctsy fuse 3 20 amp. I just bought the van from my nieghbor and its been that way since I bought it a couple weeks ago. It is all factory radio and interior. I have no idea when the problem started as the van was his Sons prior to my purchase. It was pretty dirty inside with pop and candy goo from prior owners 4 children...I dont know if thats important or not but when I say gunk I mean 7 hrs worth of scrubbing to remove said GUNK.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All Ihave done to the van was flush coolant,change oil,flush trans fluid. I'm a diesel mechanic so I dont do a lot of automotive work,I keep my wife in a new car every 2 yrs so Im not wrenching 24/7...lol.

With the lights turned off/doors closed does the fuse blow immediately when put in?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ihave not tried to change fuse with doors closed yet. Im not home at the moment so I cant try that.

Let's see what it does in that case and go from there.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok,I will be back home in a couple hrs. Can I still message you then?

Yes, you can come back and reply here at any time.