Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Have an older 355 SBC built pretty well. Went to the drags

Customer Question

Have an older 355 SBC built pretty well. Went to the drags and apparently was low on oil. Filled it up and a couple weeks later, it started to sound funny. No knocks or pinning, but kinda sounds like maybe a cylinder isn't firing
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I would start with a cylinder compression test to see if one or more are low on compression compared to the rest.If one or more are found to be low on compression this can be caused by cylinder wall damage,valve damage in the cylinder heads,piston or piston ring damage.The engine will need a leak down test from there on each cylinder with low compression to help with locating the fault then the engine taken apart for inspection and repair.If the compression test is found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete