Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

My 2004 trailblazer ext with 5.3V8 starts fine and other

Customer Question

My 2004 trailblazer ext with 5.3V8 starts fine and other times dash light dim and nothing no click
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has anything been checked,tested or replaced for this issue here at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Does it start eventually or do you have to jump start it?

Are any other electronics acting up with this issue here?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
just battery cables tighten and look for loose wires
it will start no other electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,is it acting up now to do some testing at all?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no it started 4 to 5times
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,the most common cause for a no crank no start issue when no other electronics are acting up is the starter itself.Even if there isnt a click from the starter the starter can be at fault.The other issue is the electronic ignition switch but usually this will cause faults with other electronics as well if this is the cause here.

Locate the starter relay in the under hood fuse box (labeled start or crank) and when this occurs if this relay clicks when trying to start the vehicle then the ignition switch is o.k. and the starter needs replaced most likely.You can test the small purple wire at the starter for power when it will not start when the relay clicks and if there is power then the starter needs replaced.

If there is no click from the relay at all when this occurs then try tapping on the relay and if it starts then,then this relay needs replaced.If it does not start then the ignition switch is the most likely cause needing replaced.The signals would need to be tested at this relay to be sure.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete