GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2008 Chevrolet Impala LS w/ 3.5L SFI When in reverse it does

Customer Question

2008 Chevrolet Impala LS w/ 3.5L SFI When in reverse it does fine however trying to go forward the rear brakes lock up !!!
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: That's it; I check brake fluid its fine no leaks !!
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Chevy Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Something tells me to call AAA Club and tow it to ***** ***** Chevrolet tonight !! Day #2 without my car !!
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: I don't use the Parking Brake during the Winter Months matter of fact I don't use them at all !!! GM Vehicles have a problem of cables snapping or the parking brake actuators freeze up !!!
JA: OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  camerontech replied 10 months ago.

hi there,

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech.

it sounds like either something has come apart in the ebrake or even a pad material possibly seperated from the shim.

can yo posssibly jack the car up and remove the wheel for the one that is locked?