Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I just bought a 2006 Malibu Maxx SS. The check engine light

Customer Question

I just bought a 2006 Malibu Maxx SS. The check engine light is on. How do I get it off? Codes P0106, P0113, and P0449 are coming up. Thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

All three of those codes are for different items. How much diagnosis/repair are you going to do yourself?

Do you have a scan tool?

Are you certain that they are active codes and not history codes? Ie, have you reset them once already and they came back after normal driving?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I plan on doing them all myself yes I have a snap on scanner deleted them and they came back so they are active
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

OK. The p0106 is a MAP sensor code. The sensor is either faulty or has a bad connection.

Here is the test procedure from GM for this code:

Circuit/System Testing

P0106

⇒XIf decrease in pressure is not consistent, then test for intermittent and poor connections at the MAP sensor. If connections test OK, replace the MAP sensor.

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the MAP sensor from the vacuum source, leave connected to engine harness.
  2. Connect a J-23738-A to the MAP sensor.
  3. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  4. Observe the MAP sensor pressure with the scan tool.
  5. Apply vacuum with the J-23738-A to the MAP sensor in 1 inch Hg increments until 15 inches Hg is reached. Each 1 inch Hg should decrease MAP sensor pressure by 3–4 kPa. Monitor the MAP sensor pressure to see if the decrease in pressure is consistent.
  6. Apply vacuum with the J-23738-A until 20 inches Hg is reached. Observe the MAP sensor pressure for less than 34 kPa.
  7. If more than 34 kPa, test for an intermittent and for a poor connection at the MAP sensor. If connections test OK, replace the MAP sensor.

J-23738-A is just a vacuum pump like this one:

Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

P0113 is a MAF sensor code. This and the p0106 could be triggering one another. Here is how it is tested:

1. Check the Tan/Black wire for an open from the Mass Air Flow (MAF) to pin 42 of the Black Powertrain Control Module (PCM) connector. This is the ground wire for the intake air temperature sensor in the MAF.

2. Check the solid Tan wire for an open or short to ground from the MAF to pin 62 of the Black PCM connector, this is the 5 volt from the PCM.

3. If the 5 volt and ground are OK, jump the wire together and the scanner should read a high temperature, if OK, replace the MAF.

Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

I would probably focus my efforts on checking for a broken wire at the connector before doing too much testing.

Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

The p0449 is usually a bad evap canister vent solenoid/valve. The best thing to do with it is just replace it.

Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What are the stock part numbers for the MAP and MAF sensors? Also the part number for the canister vent valve?
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

MAP 16212460

MAF 15911983

I don't list the vent valve part # ***** the Malibu Maxx. I think it's 12592015 but you might verify with the dealer.

Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need additional information. Please don't forget to rate if you no longer need help.

Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

Please don't forget to rate if you no longer need help. We don't get paid if we don't get a positive rating.

Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.

Please don't forget to rate.