Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

My 2010Tahoe has the engine light on and a new rumble I can

Customer Question

My 2010Tahoe has the engine light on and a new rumble I can hear at about 5 mph. Think it's the rear end. The truck has 149, 000 miles and runs fine.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

With this rumble if you turn side to side when the noise occurs carefully does the noise change pitch at all or go away when this is done or possibly get any louder?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no, it stays the same, really notice it slowing down like at a stop light. It is gone when the vehicle stops
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
still waiting on a reply
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

The first thing that needs done here is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle here.The fault codes set once this has been done will need to be diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.I would start with having this done first to see if the fault is located this way.

If the rumble does not change noise turning side to side and only occurs with the vehicle moving or slowing down this indicates a fault with one of the bearings in the rear differential most likely or gear wear in the differential needing replaced.I have also seen issues in the transfer case as well before needing repaired or replaced.

This will have to be inspected further to locate the cause for this issue here and then from there it can be repaired to correct this.This may require having a shop or repair facility take apart the differential or transfer case to inspect and repair the fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete