GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 1998 1500 Silverado that I only drive occasionally.

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 1998 1500 Silverado that I only drive occasionally. It has been parked for about 2 weeks and when I went to start it there was nothing. It would not crank. The interior light was dim. I replaced the battery (10 years old) and expected it to start right up but still nothing. Seems like plenty of juice and all electric stuff works. Just won't crank.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Chevy Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if possible. I can turn a wrench but am strictly amateur.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I looked at the fuse block both inside and under hood. And I looked for obvious loose/broken wires.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: I only run it occasionally. But it runs strong and I keep it well Maintained. I'm in California so no severe conditions.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. What size engine do you have? Do the headlights work? What about the dome lights? Would you be willing to speak on the phone? Would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
5.7. Everything electrical works. I think I hear the electric fuel pump sending gas up but I'm not sure. phone call is ok
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

Phone calls do cost extra. If you would like to move forward with the phone call, you should be able to request a phone call on your end. If not, thats ok too.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

You are going to need to check for power down at the starter motor with the key in the CRANK position. You will need an assistant to help with this.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No thanks. We can continue on like this
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

ok check for power at the starter and let me know

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That's what I kind of expected. This looks like a weekend job with my helpers. Thanks for your help and I will come back to it on Saturday. I'm done for now!
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.

Sounds good!