Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

1998 k1500 Chevy 350. At a stop sign say my light came on

1998 k1500 Chevy 350. At a stop sign say my light came on and my oil pressure dropped to zero. Put it in neutral and it raised back up. Found that when the idle drops so does he oil pressure. Help??

Hello, my name is***** you replaced the oil pressure switch? When pressure dropped to 0 did you hear any engine noise such as knocking or tapping? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No noises. But it dropped again when I stopped s another light then picked right back up when I went

Usually if the pressure was actually that low you would hear engine noise. Have you tried to replace the oil pressure switch yet? Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sir
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would the sensor fail in a way that follows the RPM curve I'm confused seems more likely or I should say logical that it would be oil pump lower RPMs they can build up the pressure until you crank up the RPMs I'm sorry for being difficult but if I change that oil sensor and it ruins the engine because it was really the oil pump I'm screwed

You can do a oil pressure test before replacing. You can barrow pressure tester from your local parts store for free. Engine should have at least 6 psi at 1000 rpm, 18 psi at 2000 rpm, and 24 psi at 4000 rpm. If good then replace the pressure switch, it is common to fail like this. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions. Thanks.